Sunday, August 10, 2008

BYU vs. UW

In less than one month, September 6 to be exact, BYU football will come to Seattle to play the University of Washington. My anticipation for this game has been building since this past November when I started to entertain the idea of seeking employment in Washington state. Throughout recent years BYU and UW have played each other every few years. Knowing this and with this falls upcoming game, I used BYU football as a "pro" reason to move to Washington state. (It would have been tough to move somewhere where BYU hardly ever, and/or never, came to play football.)

As many know, my love of BYU football stretches long and far. I can only think of a handful of birthday's and Christmas' combined that I have not recieved a gift oriented towards BYU football. The greatest of those gifts, video "Greatest Moments in BYU Football History," was given by my sister Heidi when I was only 10. I presently still watch the video at least two or three times a year. And I will most definately watch it again before the BYU vs. Northern Iowa game.

Ohp, I digressed. Something which is not hard for me to do when I talk about BYU football one of the few things in life that I am most passionate about (1. wife and family; 2. church 3. BYU football, (but my wife might think it is actually first sometimes.)) Hardly anything else in life gets me more excited and going than this. Its true, I'm obsessed and proud to admit it. I have checked http://www.byucougars.com/ almost daily and have watched each of the "All Access" football videos, (some more than once.) ESPN's website also has had a number of good BYU football articles this off season as well. I have been to the University of Washington's website and reading the local newspapers trying to scout their team. As well as UCLA's. I would do them same for "the school up North" but that is unsportsmanlike conduct. I wouldn't touch that website, if they have one, with a ten foot pole. I do have my priorities and with only BYU is where they lie. (If you couldn't tell.)

Vicky put this on my desktop background once. Isn't it awesome!
I am so proud to be a Duersch!

Benjamin and my Dad. Possibly my most favorite picture of all time.

Okay back to why I am writing this blog post. Vicky and I have recently purchased our tickets to attend the BYU vs. University of Washington football game.
I am SO EXCITED!!!

And with the game being less than a month away, I think I already mentioned that, I am having a hard time not talking about it at work. There are some pretty big UW fans there and I feel that I ought to keep the peace, but we'll see how long I lay low. It'll be tough.


Like Bronco, I love Lavell.

Vicky and I are now proud owners of a Costco card. And I have a feeling that we'll be making weekly trips for chips and salsa during the season. I have already started to warm up my chips and salsa eating in the past month. With my proud BYU banner hanging in the front window, I close this post and await BYU football's turn in BCS glory.
GOOooooOOOOO COUGARS!!!

7 comments:

Marianne said...

Paul, you crack me up! I love it! GO COUGS! Oh, and did you hear about the cool item that relates to a former BYU player that Mom now owns?

Paul said...

I did not, but I would love to know.

alishka babushka said...

I have to agree...I'm super excited for the coming season. I've been reading the followings of Fall camp pretty closely...I know that this is our year!!!

Liz Johnson said...

Paul... I may not share your enthusiasm for the same team, but I DEFINITELY share your enthusiasm for the upcoming season. I LOVE FOOTBALL!

GO IRISH!!! (And I won't even root for my #2 team on your blog... since you're keeping the sportsmanship rules too). :)

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Paul, I am right there in step with you. I can't wait for the season to start. Have you ever checked out cougarfan.com ? It's my favorite.

Scott

Alene said...

HURRAH! We just got our allsports passes last week and we can't wait! I love BYU football! Thanks for helping me love it Paul. I remember watching that movie with you many many times growing up! Good times!