Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Cookies


I was craving cookies with cranberries in them after I bought a big bag of Craisins from Costco the other day. So I took my favorite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe (from an old Encyclopedia Brown book I bought when I was a kid), made a couple of substitutions, and came up with these. We liked them so much I made them twice in a week.

1 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
grated peel of 1 orange
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 1/3 + 1/2 c. flour
3 c. uncooked oats
1 1/2 c. dried cranberries

Cream together butter and sugars. Stir in vanilla, eggs, orange peel, baking soda, and salt. Add flour and oats; stir in cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until slightly brown. Remove to cooling racks.

10 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

YUM!!!! I am so excited to try these!

Alene said...

Thanks for the recipe! I just added it to my favorite cookie list in the Betty Crocker Cookbook computer program Kelv got me for Christmas! Thanks to you I was even able to add a very delicious looking picture! I can't wait to try it too!

Lisa said...

You are such a master baker!! Everything I've ever had that you made was fantastic, and I'm sure these are the same.

Vegas Emily said...

I am trying them this weekend!

By the way - of course I remember you! I was SO excited that both you and Nina are on Facebook!

Your little family is so cute! I can't believe you already have 2 little guys! Makes me feel especially old!

rantipoler said...

These look delicious! I can't wait to try them out.

lori said...

mmmmmmmmmmm! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

The Lorenzen'z said...

Vicky, I'm so sorry to hear about Paul's "relaxing" vacation. What a bummer thing to have to go through. As always your recipes look delicious. I am such a sucker for cookies. I think I'll try these out. Thanks for the recipe.

Emily said...

Vicky, these look AMAZING! I will have to try them out! THANK YOU so much for your advice on my last post! I really appreciate it! somedays I feel ready to be a mom and others I feel so lost. You're awesome.

Melissa said...

These sound amazing! I'm so excited to try them. :)

Shiloh said...

So how much dough did Benjamin have to sample before they were baked?