Sunday, August 16, 2009

Black Bears

While in Juneau I wanted to see bears and whales, more than any other animal. Luckily for me I have gotten to see quite a few of both. I've seen ten different bears at this point. Below are a few of the most recent photos.

What a photo, huh!!?! I was pretty excited to get this one! This bear was hiding in the meadow grasses to the left. I didn't see him until just after three large brillantly red sockeye salmon started flopping in the shallow creek. Suddenly the bear jumped up out of the meadow and barged into the stream. He got his salmon! (Click on the photo.) I now have a new appreciation for how fast bears are.

See the salmon? So does the bear. I count at least three which are noticeably visible.

No zoom on this photo!
This was a little too close for me!

Those two cubs were really cute!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow. I don't think I very much want to see bears that close up. Good thing I'm not in Alaska :)

Allie said...

Wow, Vicky! Real bears...not in the zoo! Your kids are so cute....really, I think you guys are pretty great baby makers ;o) I'm jealous that you guys are in Alaska. I think I missed the blog post that said why you're there. An Alaskan trip is on my list of to-do's before I die. It just looks so beautiful.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

That is my life goal, right there. That is so cool...I guess they're not much of the attacking bear type since they see people a lot huh? I am jealous!

rantipoler said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO cool! You guys are having such an amazing adventure up there!

Gaskin Girls said...

That is SO COOL! And super CRAZY!! I can't believe how close you were to those bears! Super fun!