Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentines

I'm a little late in posting these things, but here are some of the memorable things we did for Valentine's Day this year.

We ate pink heart-shaped pancakes for lunch. It would have been breakfast but for Paul's pre-church meetings and the hectic getting-ready-for-church scramble. We ate these last year, too. I think I sense a tradition coming on.


Paul and Benjamin built a delicious (surprise) heart cake while I was at a Relief Society meeting after church. When I came home earlier than expected I was exiled to the back of the house until it was done. I think they frosted it in the garage, as a matter of fact! When they came back inside, Benjamin couldn't contain the surprise inside his little 3-year-old body and he immediately shouted, "Mama! We made you a cake!" I love those kinds of surprises.

My gift to Paul was a bottle of homemade hot sauce.



I don't have any pictures of it, but I used an idea from a blog for a Valentine's scavenger hunt. Benjamin (and Rhett) followed clues around the house to lead them to a "treasure" of balloons a Valentine candy. They both enjoyed it, but next year there will be some changes: Don't leave candy along with the clues, because it was really distracting. Buy two of the same balloon so there isn't any (or as much) fighting over whose balloon is whose. And clean the house first so I'll want to take pictures of it.

Finally, although we did this the next day for Family Home Evening, we used some of our Crunch hearts to make s'mores under the broiler. Why don't we do that more often?

5 comments:

Brian and Michelle said...

You do such fun things for your boys! What a good idea--smores in the oven!

Lisa said...

How cute!! I'm bummed at myself that we didn't do anything for Valentine's Day. I just figured the whole day was shot since it was on Sunday, but I totally could've done something. Oh well.

lori said...

a) I love the cake surprise! How cute of your boys!
b) your hot sauce idea is too perfect!!!!
c)I love s'mores under the broiler and wish I had ingredients to make them right now!!! Yum!

Sarah said...

Too cute! We had pink, heart-shaped pancakes, too! Great minds think alike...

McCracken said...

You do the greatest things! I am going to start stealing/borrowing your ideas!!e