Monday, November 1, 2010

Dreams

A little while after Paul and I were married I had a dream.  In the dream I saw in front of me a baby boy.  Then that child was replaced by a second baby boy.  At the end of the dream I found myself looking at a little girl.

I couldn't help thinking about the dream a lot over the years and wondering if it was foretelling our future family.  I would hardly presume to call myself prophetic, but it was certainly a pleasant thing when we were blessed with each of our two boys, and I felt a certain sort of affirmation that those two boys were meant to be with us.

A friend of mine, who dreamed she would have a boy but instead had a girl, once said to me that if your dream comes true people think you're prophetic, but if it doesn't they think you're just stupid.






Well, what do you think?




High Five!

Now, practically speaking, I could have gone either way on this one.  I was leaning toward girl because the genetic odds were really in favor of it and how likely would it be, really, for us to have three boys in a row?  (That's never been done in our families.)  But the possibility of another boy was pretty exciting.  We could keep them in the same room till they left on their missions!  (And I could keep my sewing room a while longer.)  Not to mention the abundance of baby boy items lining our closet shelves.

However, in all seriousness, while I don't consider myself to be a woman of visions, I do feel once more the affirmation that this child was and is meant to be in our family.  As I thought about that long-ago dream over the years and wondered about it, and as I tried to maintain an open mind as we approached each child's ultrasound, there was always something inside me that told me that the dream was given to me for a reason.  And I was never surprised by the gender of any of our children.

I was hesitant to post some of these things at first because I don't want to sound presumptuous about my entitlement to visionary dreams.  After all, people do have dreams about babies all the time that don't end up matching reality.  And I am not a spiritual giant.

But I do believe that I dreamed about those children because those are the children I would have.  And I'm not sure why there were only three because we certainly plan on having more than three kids.  I think time will tell.  For now, I feel glad to know that the Lord knows me and knows my family and for whatever reason chose to give me that glimpse into my future as a mother.

And we feel very happy about this little girl.

Duersch Baby #3
Arriving sometime in March 2011

(And no, my name is not Victiria, but pictures were printed and CD burned before we could change it.  Just in case anyone wondered.)

27 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! I think your dream is way cool. Congrats again on the baby girl!!

Lesley said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!

That is so cool. And you know what? When I saw you on Google Reader, I thought, "Now that Halloween is done, I bet she is going to announce they are having a baby." Weird! I am so glad I was right, even there was no particular reason I was sure that you were having a baby. I am so glad the Duersch family is still growing!

Lesley said...

PS: I just have to add that you haven't LOOKED pregnant in any recent pictures or anything. So that is not why I was expecting an announcement. You have looked lovely as always.

Okay. Just had to set the record straight.

Brian and Michelle said...

Hooray!!! Congrats! When I was pregnant with Camden, I really really wanted a little girl, whose name I had picked out many years ago. It's like I know a little girl will come sometime because I know her name. Anyway, during my ultrasounds and when the dr. checked the heart beat, I always had a feeling he was a boy, and now I'm so glad to have him. Thanks for sharing your dream and your wonderful news!

John B. said...

Congrats!!! That is so awesome.

Rebekah said...

congratulations! i love little girls!

Emily said...

Congratulations! We sure do love girls around here!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!! How exciting!!! (Victiria, sheesh :) ) I totally know what you mean, though, and I don't think it's bad to share when you've had revelation. It's not just luck--seriously! I am the queen of crazy, off-the-wall dreams, but I've had some that I knew (in fact, it was like a voice told me) that this would happen. My 2nd miscarriage was like that--a few days before I had a dream that I woke up and realized that I had miscarried, and a voice said, "This is going to happen." 3 or 4 days later it happened exactly that way. Then I knew a woman who felt like she was supposed to have one more kid, and it would be a boy. Got pregnant--girl! Got pregnant again--another girl! Then she had her boy. She says that if she had known that she would have had as many kids as she did (she had 5) then she wouldn't have done it (she has major health issues). But Heavenly Father knew what she needed to see, you know? Okay, end of my way-too-long comment. :)

Sarah said...

Congratulations! You have such a cute family.

alishka babushka said...

vicky! This makes me SO happy! Maybe me and baby girl Duersch will share a birthday. :o) Congratulations!

Tiff said...

That's incredible. I would never have an experience like that. That's totally amazing.

Megan said...

Congratulations Vicky! I'm excited for you in many ways. I'm glad you shared your dream even though you feel it may not come across well to some people. To me, I think you were given a blessing to begin with and now have been blessed 3 times since. Congrats again. You are a wonderful mother and this little girl will have a wonderful role model to grow up with.

lori said...

Oh, that's just WONDERFUL!! Truly, truly wonderful!! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannah said...

Congrats!!! Little baby girls are so fun.

Alicia said...

That's so exciting! Congratulations!

Lindsay said...

That's awesome Vicki! Congrats!

Shauna said...

Vicky this is just sensational. I am so happy for your darling family. I hope you truly enjoy the world of cute clothes and bows. On a side note, I am completely impressed with your Halloween festivities. You're a wonderful mom! Congrats again!

hilary w said...

Wow...what a cool dream! And even cooler that it's actually coming true! I am so excited that you guys are having another baby, and I'm so excited that you are having a girl! You will LOVE having a girl. Congratulations!

Leah said...

Congratulations Vicky! Girls are super fun! All the cute outfits and hair ribbons... very exciting. I have my 20 week ultrasound in 11 days, and we'll find out if Dymock #2 is a boy or girl.

Also, I've been meaning to call you. Ryan, Samantha and I are headed up to Canada for a family vacation from November 16-20, and we'd love to get together sometime. We're taking the Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, and staying in Victoria, but we'd love to head over your way sometime. Let us know what your plans are that week.

Brooke said...

Congratulations! I have had dreams come true too, but I understand your reluctance to share. There are always people who think you are crazy..

Lisa Wolf Smith said...

Yaay!! So excited for you both! Now we can have little girls at the same time :D

Julie said...

I like it. I'm glad your dreams are coming true. Congratulations on your little girl.

Sarah said...

Wow, look at all your comments. :) Congrats on your little girl. She is going to have some good body guards. :) Your dreams sounds like a special experience. That's awesome.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

hooray hooray hooray! I love dreams!! And I know that a duersch baby girl is going to be die or adorable!!

Shiloh said...

That was a very special dream and I am so glad you shared it! Can't wait to me my new granddaughter! She will be a very lucky girl to have two such wonderful big brothers. Oh and fantastic parents too! :)

McClellan Family said...

Congratulations Paul and Vicky. That is fun news. Our score is the same. One girl to start. Sulli next, and his brother will get here mid March like your little one. Its to bad we are miles apart, because your blog always looks like your doing fun stuff. And Washington looks a ton prettier than Arizona. (at least from the pictures) Congrats again.

Allie said...

Yea! I'm so excited for you guys!! You're just gonna love the piggy-tails! Congratulations.