Sometimes when I'm driving with the boys in the back seat I'll ask Benjamin, "How are you doing?" And he'll say, "Good," in his sweet little almost-two-year-old voice. Then I'll ask, "How is Rhett doing?" And he replies, "Good," once more. And if I ask him, "What is Rhett doing?" he inevitably replies, "'Nooze," meaning that Rhett is taking a snooze.
A snooze. Most days I would love to take one. Most days I don't. And up until recently Benjamin has been a great snoozer during his afternoon naps. But a big change was made in his almost-two-year-old life which has put a wrinkle in our not-quite-perfect-but-perfect-for-us sleeping routine.
A big-boy bed.
Benjamin has been sleeping in a Pack-n-Play since he was seven months old. Up until now we haven't had room for a crib, so it was a great space- and money-saving alternative.

But, of course, he has grown a lot since he first started snoozing in the Pack-n-Play. For weeks, even months probably, he's been sleeping with is face smushed against the mesh sides of his bed, so that when he wakes up the pattern is imprinted on his forehead, and we decided that now was a pretty good time to upgrade the sleeping accommodations.
We had family and friends come into town to visit us recently, so we purchased a twin matress at Costco for their use, and for Benjamin's new bed once everyone left.
The first night was fine. It was Monday, so our Family Home Evening was dedicated to saying goodbye to the baby bed and hello to Benjamin's new bed! We put him to bed that night with no problems.
Yesterday Benjamin's naptime came around. I laid him on his bed and left the room, shutting the door behind me as always. A few minutes later the door opened and Benjamin was at my side. That was the first time he had ever opened a door on his own. Go figure. I tried to get him to go back to his bed. Later Paul, at work, received this text message from me:
Big boy bed = naptime failure
Benjamin cried through the afternoon, cried through dinner, then snuggled in my lap with his blanket for a few minutes where I hoped he'd fall asleep. But he didn't. So we went through the bedtime routine and tried again to lay him down in his new bed. I even tried lying next to him but he would just get up and try to run out of the room. He finally went to sleep after Paul laid on the ground next to his bed.
So this afternoon I anticipated a struggle. And got one. I tried lying next to him. Even after putting his teddy bears and Mr. Potato Head down for their naps, Benjamin still didn't want to go down for his. I spent several minutes holding his door closed from the outside, hoping he'd cry himself into exhaustion and fall asleep in the doorway. When he did quiet down I resumed my tending of Rhett only to be joined by Benjamin a few minutes later. I led him back to his room and repeated the previous scene. This time when Benjamin came out of his room he hovered timidly in the hallway, then sneaked into the kitchen, presumably to eat Cheerios. I led him to his room once more, and laid down again. When he was finally sucking his thumb with his eyes closed I tried to sneak away, but the plastic cover on the mattress gave me away and Benjamin rolled over and said, "No! Mamma snooze!" So I lay back down.
But this is what I have now.

After two and a half hours Benjamin is finally taking a much-needed snooze. And I didn't even have to unpack the Pack-n-Play (which was my plan). I may need to try CJ's felt doll role play idea at our next FHE. Any other suggestions?

8 comments:
Oh man, I'm so sorry. We were sorta forced to move Connor into a big-boy bed back in March (since we wanted him accustomed to it by May, when we were leaving for the summer and that would be the only option). It actually went amazingly well - he only got up once or twice.
My only thought is to make sure that he is able to get back into bed. For a few days I didn't realize that Connor couldn't climb into his bed without a step (ha) so he kept getting out and then falling asleep on the floor.
I'm no help, I'm sorry!
Malia is STILL in her crib.
She'll be 3 in December.
We're keeping her there until it is an absolute necessity to do otherwise...
... are we mean?
Poor you! I'm sure if Jonathan could, he'd get out of that crib at every opportunity.
I anticipate having your problem in a couple years--let me know how it goes!
P.S. I made your rolo cookies (but with peanut butter cups) the other week--they were a success!!
I don't have kids yet, but I sure remember being one. I hated sleeping in my own big girl bed at first because it felt too open. I found that if I was cuddling with one of my parents or my big sister it didn't seem as big to me. I later found that if I put all my stuffed animals in there with me I didn't need one of my parents or my big sister with me because I felt safe and surrounded, and in an atmosphere that I could relate better with - a smaller atmosphere that was much more my size. Maybe if you made his bed seem more crowded he would feel more like it was the right size for him?
W says that when he started sleeping in his own big boy bed he felt too high and was afraid he would fall off, so he would often opt for sleeping on the floor. Maybe you could have him sleep with the mattress on the floor? I don't know. Feel free to try these if you think they would help, and if you find a good solution please post it so that we can keep it in mind for the future. Good luck! ;-)
What a great mom you are!
Thanks for the comments. The mattress is on the ground, so I don't think height is a problem. The size of the bed probably is. Also, I think it may be less comfortable that the mattress in his old bed. In any case, yesterday's naptime went much more smoothly, and bedtime was great. I can't exactly pinpoint what the trick is, but he's doing okay with it so far.
Good luck! We have been really blessed to never have a problem with that. I think it helps that Bradley's afraid of the dark (we always have their room dark) so he won't get out. So sorry, I'm not much help. Let's hope it continues to get better. Maybe he just had to get used to the idea?
ooooh yes. gotta love those transitions! How's he done the rest of the week? Lucy was in her pack 'n play forever too...but had already given up naps by the time we switched to a big bed (she was never a good 'noozer') so I have no good advice! Hope it's going well!
Post a Comment