
Recently Benjamin has become really receptive to being taught about a variety of things, and it's particularly rewarding for us to teach him about Jesus Christ and the gospel and to see those lessons taking root in his memory. The week before Easter we had a Family Home Evening about the Resurrection and put the picture of the resurrected Christ up on our wall. Throughout the week Benjamin often requested that I sing the "Jesus and Mary" song to him.
He also painted that great egg with watercolors, and I meant to have him make more because I thought they were nice, but didn't get around to it.
We thought that it might be fun this year to host an Easter egg hunt in our back yard. It being the first time I've ever done that sort of thing, I was left afterward with dozens of thoughts of things that could have been different or better. Nevertheless, I think it was fairly fun for the kids who came. Free candy, right?
We invited some friends from church and our friends who live in the house next door. The kids ranged in age from 17 months (not including Rhett) to four years old. We felt really lucky to catch a break in the rain. Just as we finished up our activities it started sprinkling.


Some of the eggs kept coming apart and it seemed like there were jelly beans everywhere. Benjamin walked around half the time with blue Robin's Egg candy dripping from his mouth.
Thanks to you guys who participated in our first ever Easter egg hunt! We had a good time!
Later that afternoon it was time to dye eggs. Benjamin and I covered the table with the only four scraps of newspaper we had (why did I recycle it all earlier in the week?) and dyed our eggs with the last tiny drops I could squeeze out of our food coloring bottles. (If you can't tell, this Easter lacked a lot of planning on my part. I didn't even buy our Easter ham until Saturday evening.)
Thanks to you guys who participated in our first ever Easter egg hunt! We had a good time!
Later that afternoon it was time to dye eggs. Benjamin and I covered the table with the only four scraps of newspaper we had (why did I recycle it all earlier in the week?) and dyed our eggs with the last tiny drops I could squeeze out of our food coloring bottles. (If you can't tell, this Easter lacked a lot of planning on my part. I didn't even buy our Easter ham until Saturday evening.)


I made the swirly ones by wrapping the eggs in paper towels secured by rubber bands. Most of them we just dyed in random colors and later decorated them with stickers. I think the football ones were Benjamin's favorites.
While we were dying eggs, Paul was preparing his church talk for Easter Sunday. He did a fantastic job.
Due to more inadequate planning, the Easter Bunny didn't arrive at our house until around 10:00 p.m. on Sunday night. Yes, our kids were still awake.

4 comments:
Thanks for the Easter egg hunt! We had a great time! I was impressed you had other games planned in addition to the hunt!
How fun! Those eggs look great - I would never have known your Easter plans were last minute. It really is amazing how much kids can learn and how much attention they pay to stuff you say, even when it seems they aren't listening. And there's my Primary speech. :P
FUN! Eggs and Hunts and the whole bit! You did pretty darn good for no planning, friend! Wish we could have heard Paul's talk! Love what you said about teaching Benjamin about Jesus...sometimes I forget how READY children are to learn important things!! Miss you guys!
Easter egg hunts are so much fun! Looks like Benjamin was having a great time!
Post a Comment