I wanted Benjamin's birthday to be special (memorable) this year because, well, he might remember it. I remember my third birthday still, even after more than twenty years.
Fortunately he didn't care that we recycled the balloons from my birthday.
I had been asking Benjamin often during the past couple of months what kind of birthday cake he wanted, and it didn't take him long to announce enthusiastically,
"I want Lightning McQueen!"
I think I have some history of trying too hard to make amazing-looking creations out of cake and icing (and usually ending up disappointed), and I contemplated a couple of different ways to create a Lightning McQueen cake, including building the race car out of cake, drawing him on with icing or, rather simply, making cupcakes with some sort of Cars party toppers. Fortunately for us all, I ultimately decided, the simpler, the better.
I think it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. In any case, Benjamin loves his new cars! His new Lightning McQueen has hardly left his sight in the past two weeks, and he generously allows me to play with Sally and Rhett with Chick Hicks.
6 comments:
That's a great idea! A cool cake, PLUS toys to play with. Jonathan can't even talk, but he LOVES that movie, and whenever we see a Cars ANYTHING at the store he flips out (with joy, of course).
CUTE!!!! I love that cake idea!! How did you do the checked pattern on the sides?? I might try to steal that one for another birthday in a couple of weeks... :)
That's an awesome cake. Benjamin, you're a good kid!! And Vicky, we were blown away at how awesome that package was. We need a current address from you so we can send a "proper" thank you.
That was so amazing!! The Duersch's are the greatest friends anyone could ask for... :)
Happy Birthdays all around! I love the bear pictures!
That's a good looking cake. It makes me want to eat it!
What a cutie! And a generous one, at that, letting you play with his cars and all! I can't believe he's 3!! Yay for Benjamin! Great job on the cake, Vickie! You did AWESOME! And I like your "simpler the better" advice. Definitely the way to go!
Post a Comment