Our house is a whirlwind of Christmas preparations these days. So much to do, and not enough time. I'm trying to focus on what really counts and not do too much stuff. This year is fun because Benjamin is more into Santa than before. Last night after our ward Christmas party, he confidently affirmed that the real Santa had been there. Rhett is getting into it, too, but not as much. Benjamin keeps reminding Rhett that "Santa can hear you."
Something really fun (to me) about Benjamin recently is his artwork. Up until now, he would never draw pictures, or even color in a coloring book much. This past summer for Grandpa Duersch's birthday, Benjamin drew him a picture of some balloons and it was the first picture of his that was really recognizable as what he said it was. Now he seems to be coloring up a storm. It's so fun to see the things in his brain going onto paper.
For the ward Christmas party the primary kids were asked to color these ornament outlines which were then hung as decorations on the walls. Maybe at some point I'll post pictures of our family at the party (we took pictures!) but with my track record this year I wouldn't count on it. For now (or forever) this will have to do.
Rhett is really into yellow lately. Really. He loves anything yellow. He cried at Thanksgiving when he learned that I had not, despite his request, made a lemon pie. (I had in fact told him I would not be making a lemon pie, but his little 3-year-old heart was still counting on it.) It really is so funny, his yellow obsession, until we can't find his yellow spoon/plate/cup at dinner and a tantrum ensues. Rhett has been alternating between very sweet and very sassy. Sometimes he'll respond to one of my instructions with a cheerful "Um, sure!" and others he responds with a surly "No, mommy-poopy!" (The latter "endearment" has been going on for months in different variations. He hasn't tired of it, but I have.) I am amazed every day at how much he is growing up. Sunbeams in 3 weeks!
Since this "short" post has now turned into an update post, I guess I have to mention Lucy. She's pretty much the same as last time, though. A third tooth has come through. She's delightful as ever. She'll be nine months old at the end of this week. This has been the fastest (and most blurry) nine months of my life.
Back to the purpose of this post, I'll finish off with another piece from Benjamin. He drew this in his primary class today. This may be the last post we get till next year, so maybe I should have titled it "Merry Christmas!" The subject of this picture is what it's all about, after all.
(If you can't tell, it's Baby Jesus in the manger. And maybe that's a star up above?)



2 comments:
Very talented. I loved the yellow addiction. Isn't it interesting how 3 year olds can be so sweet and so...strangleworthy at the same time? Not that I'd ever hurt him, but there are moments where he seems so grown up and then others where I have to remind myself that he's still 3. Merry Christmas.
I love the artwork! Merry Christmas, friend. :)
Post a Comment