There are toys all over the floor that I can't seem to get my kids to clean up. The (pitiful) birthday decor from three days ago is still on the walls. On our mantel are the following: a frosting-container piggy bank, a plastic cup containing bits of chalk that Lucy will eat if she can reach them, Easter stuff, a bottle of gorilla glue, three wooden reindeer, a few bouncy balls, the puzzle blocks Paul made me last Christmas, a small notebook, and an air freshener that needs to be refilled.
And I won't bother describing the state of my kitchen floor, or any other floor in the house for that matter.
Plus, I've been cranky at my kids today. (Though, in everyone's defense, we've all got colds so we're all cranky.)
Does anyone feel better about their own house now? I hope so. You're welcome.
So. I am not a good decorator. (We have one picture hanging in our living room that was not created using construction paper, glue, or Q-tips.) I am not so good at cleaning everything that needs it. And I'm not the best mom in the world.
But, I look at pictures like these from a Tuesday evening early in April and I am reminded that housekeeping isn't everything. Home decor isn't everything. Picture-perfect isn't real, so I shouldn't compare myself to everyone else's blog life, or even to anyone else's real life. (I've have to remind myself again and again about that message from Elder Holland. I've needed it more than usual lately.)
A long time ago my mom gave me some advice that I continue to appreciate, which her mom gave to her. I don't remember the exact words, but it basically goes like this: Let your house get dusty. Play with your kids. My house is often very dusty. And too often I don't play with my kids when they ask me to. But I'm trying. And I'm trying to remember what's important, and what will matter in 10 years, when my boys are in the middle of their teens, and what will matter in twenty years, when my kids have left home. I don't think it will matter that our computer desk is cluttered. I do think it will matter that I hung their preschool art on the walls, and that we played Legos together, and that Paul and I like to talk with each other and laugh together and that our kids see that.
This was not supposed to turn into an essay about how messy my house is. My point is that I wish I could capture the feeling I get from these pictures every day. Because this is what matters.
Helping Dada mow the lawn
Little Lucy in a ruffly dress and pigtails
Boys who I hope grow up to be just like their dada
Sidewalk chalk, and Rhett spontaneously starting to draw the alphabet all by himself
Evidence of one of many bouquets of dandelions I have received from my boys
And a few other things that maybe don't matter so much, but that are still memorable.
Paul's homemade greenhouse, ready to grow more tomatoes
The parsley I planted last year that, amazingly, withstood the winter and is now growing profusely
I'm thankful this view is from our back yard and not the front, because that would just look tacky. :)










8 comments:
I love you, and I know you are an amazing mom. Perfectly clean houses are overrated, and we got the short end of the stick when it came to learning interior decorating (thanks mom).
And, if it is of any comfort, there are days that I envy your life :)
Vicky, you don't need to apologize to anyone. Unfortunately, you didn't make me feel better about my own house, just reminded me of how messy my own house is also. :) I actually really like this post. I didn't take away from it how messy your house is because that is not what defines a person. What defines you are the other things you mentioned. Your desire and love to live a life with your children and husband. No one is perfect and no one makes perfect decisions every day(I'm actually glad that I'm not the only one). Thank goodness for second chances. You are a beautiful woman with a beautiful family and beautiful goals in life. Thank you for sharing them with me.
That last one was from me, not Oliver.
What a great post! It's nice to hear that I am not the only one who struggles with comparing myself/my house/my kids/my life with everyone else. You are an amazing woman, and I think you are creating great memories for your kids, messy house and all!
So, here's what I got out of the description of the messy desk: someone built something awesome with the best toys ever (Lego!), Rhett got to play at the playland and can write his name (mostly!), you paid off your van (hooray!), someone out there is about to get an amazing baby gift from you (lucky!), and Benjamin has great taste in music (I love TMBG!). That's some pretty good stuff right there. So I say, long live the messy desk! :)
You're on the right track Vicky. Your Grandma Furphy would tell me "Ignore the dust bunnies under the beds and spend time with your children when they are young." I know I didn't inherit the decorating gene from my mother but I loved decorating at holidays. Are your children happy and healthy? Are you and Paul communicating constructively? Then you are a success! And if anyone thinks any cleaning should be done just point them to the cleaning products.
I mentioned to your Grandma Furphy that you remembered her saying and she was very happy. :)
You should see my house! Jeanette would always tell me to enjoy the kids and to either live with the mess and or be miserable. I saw a sign that said "Excuse the mess children making memories". I try to remember that. We can have clean houses when we are old rocking in the chairs outside our house :)I think you are an awesome mom and are doing a wonderful job!
Post a Comment