Friday, March 27, 2009

A baby food question


I'm hoping that someone of you who read this will be able to give me some input on this. I'm tired of feeding Rhett jarred baby food. He goes through it so quickly, and it's getting to be quite expensive. I've been wanting to buy a baby food grinder instead. Have any of you tried this? When I have searched for one on Google there is basically just one that stands out, and that's the Kidco baby food mill. It has received some pretty good reviews, but others that say it's no good, which makes me hesitant to buy it. I wonder what other options are out there. Have any of you opted to make your own baby food instead of going the Gerber route? Any tips? I know we could get a little food processor, and I'm not ruling it out, but I like the portability of the food grinder. Anything anybody can tell me about what they've done or heard of would be so welcome!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Do it! They are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. We have the kidco one and it's great.

Rebekah said...

i also use a kidco and love it.

Anna said...

I got a Kidco too. Brooke had one with Lincoln and ground everything from the Morris Center in there. I thought it worked great and got one, but it didn't work too well for us. Mainly because I needed the food to be less chunky. We were in stage 1 and 2 baby food for like 6 months. If you don't have food choking/gaging problems then I think the Kidco brand would be just fine.

PS - Your boys are so cute and getting so big!

kaitlyn said...

i made all of blaine's baby food unless we were going to be out and about. i looked at the kidco, but then i took the plunge and bought the beaba babycook from williams sonoma. it was definitely an investment, but worth every penny as i figure i more than already saved that much and i will have it for all my kids. i really liked it because i could steam the food and then dump the basket straight into the blender to make the food. it was fantastic everytime.... i would then pour the food into ice cube trays. once those were made i just put them in labeled zip lock bags. i only made food like once a week at night or something when it was convenient.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this method. making food is a lot easier than you might think. i have heard the portable hand grinders are great if you are at a restaurant or something and just want to grind up something there. i haven't tried this way.

in all honesty, if you want to borrow mine i am 100% okay with that as i won't need it for 6 months or never at the rate i am going (and i think we really only needed it for blaine until she was like 10 months and then she mostly insisted on eating grown up type food). i can show you how to use it and i still have the manuals.

anyway, give me a call. you can borrow my ice cube trays that i used for it too! seriously!

J&C Hale family said...

I have also seen a demo where someone had just used their blender--I think that works best for doing somewhat larger amounts of foods ahead of time. I had a smaller grinder like the kidco one, and I enjoyed using it because I could take food already prepared for dinner (for the family) and grind it up real quickly at dinner time. Good luck with finding what works for you!

Lesley said...

I made all of Ian's baby food in a food processor until he was about 10 months old... so for a few months. At first I did all fresh stuff, but found that to be more expensive or at least equally expensive to Gerber. But frozen and sodium free canned goods would be a good, more cost effective route. Plus, most are frozen or canned at their prime, so they actually have more nutrients than fresh. I bet you already thought of all that though. A benefit of making your own stuff is that it isn't ever quite as smooth as Gerber. I thought this made the transition to table food smoother, and Ian loved table veggies from the start. Good luck!

Mrs. Cropper said...

A blender or food processor work great. In all honestly, a lot of times I just mash stuff up with a fork--things like carrots or yams that you can cook til they get really soft. You can mash it with a fork in like 20 seconds!