Our baking was partly prompted by Benjamin's interest of late in the book Frog and Toad Together, and in particular the story about the cookies. Toad makes some cookies to share with Frog, and after eating till they are almost sick, they commit to find some will power to stop eating cookies. When tying the cookies up inside a box and putting the box on a high shelf proves to be an insufficient formula for will power, Frog feeds the cookies to the birds. When Toad mourns their loss of the cookies, Frog consoles him by saying, "Yes, but we have lots of will power," to which Toad replies, "You can keep it all Frog. I am going home now to bake a cake." When the story is finished Benjamin always says, "Let's bake a cake!" So we did.



This weekend we had beautiful weather! Friday night we took advantage of the beautiful, clear skies and the lasting daylight to take a walk on the campus of Western Washington University. I loved the look and feel of the campus, and it was so nice to take a stroll on a university campus as finals draw near without feeling the pressure!

I had a professor once point out that peoples' dispositions often show up by looking at pictures of them during childhood. I think this is generally true based on pictures of myself and my sisters growing up, as well as Paul's family. However, we have been disappointed to take so many pictures of Rhett looking just like he does above! He really smiles and laughs quite a bit, but we have a hard time capturing it in pictures. Benjamin is definitely more of a ham, but hopefully some day soon we'll get some of Rhett's big grins on film too.



Warm weather also means it's time to pull out the Dutch oven! Last weekend Paul made a great Dutch oven barbecue meal for the missionaries (including one who we found out twenty minutes before dinner was a vegetarian). We had them over again yesterday between Conference sessions for some Dutch oven sweet and sour pork (the vegetarian came on an exchange last weekend, so he was not here this time). Benjamin is so curious and was poking around in Paul's Dutch oven stuff all afternoon.

Here's to a beautiful Easter week!
7 comments:
Vicky,
I just wanted to tell you that we have been thinking about your guys lately. I really wish that our families could have connected more while you were still here in Utah (totally our fault!). You guys are awesome! Tell Paul that Dave misses talking to him about sports and crappy cafeteria food. We miss Benjamin and wish we were closer to see Rhett grow up. We wish you guys success and hopefully we can connect again someday!
Kiersten Metcalfe
That looks like such a fun weekend! I love the story about the frog and will power and how Benjamin got in the mood for a little cake. That is hilarious.
Your boys are SO CUTE. And can I have some dutch oven cooking? I don't mind meat :) :)
MMMMM. I miss Paul's dutch oven cooking...can you send me some. He is one good cook! Delicious!
I have a new blog, it's dedicated to all things I think are cute: http://nowscentedwithlemon.blogspot.com
I've been wanting to read Frog and Toad (and eat lemon cupcakes) ever since you posted this!!
I am going to have to see how I can steal some of these pictures to share with the family on the Duersch Family Blog. They are so great and a cool way to get some cake after reading the story. You are a pro ! Thanks for sharing. Dad
Post a Comment