Monday, April 13, 2009

A new question

Wheat grinders.

Do any of you have them? What do you use?

For a while now I've been planning on getting this one:

The NutriMill.

My sister-in-law Heidi has one and she sold me on it. I'm particularly jazzed about the variable speed feature which allows you to adjust the coarseness of the product.

It costs $270.

However, now we have an opportunity to get a really great deal on a different kind.


The VitalMill.

It's regularly $200, and on sale now for $180. But we can get in on a group discount and get one for $120-$140. I love the price, and I've been wanting a wheat grinder for a long time. But it doesn't have variable speeds, and I guess I got my heart set on the NutriMill.

So back to my question. What do you use?

Do I need a variable speed mill? Does it matter? Is there anything I can't make with the flour produced in a grinder like the VitalMill that doesn't have variable speeds? Do you know something about the VitalMill that I should be aware of before buying it?

I have done some research into the matter, but nothing compares to hearing from people who actually use a product. I'd really like to know your experience with whatever you have.

I was (and am) so pleased with the responses I got to my baby food mill question. Now anything you know about wheat grinders would be a big help!

2 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I have a Nutrimill. AND I LOVE IT.

The nutrimill can grind at various speeds AND various coarse-ness-es (I don't think that's a word). Also, you can grind things besides wheat in it, such as whole oats and corn and other grains. I generally grind most of my wheat super fine so that I can use it to make everything (including cookies, pancakes, waffles, breads, and tortillas) and I am able to use almost 100% whole wheat without being able to tell much of a difference from a wheat/white blend. The Nutrimill can grind wheat to an almost powdered-sugar consistency so that you don't get the heavy brick-like products that you sometimes get when your wheat isn't ground as finely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I LOVE MY NUTRIMILL and I would recommend it to everybody I know. Period. I think it's worth the price.

Plus, I have some GREAT whole wheat recipes if you're interested. :)

Hilary said...

I found your blog on a google blog search, and I too am wondering if the texture changes are that important for someone who's just going to be making bread, and possibly a cookie or two?
What did you end-up deciding
You could email me at hilaryanddrew at comcast.net