Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's new with us


This is our family's seasonal decor. Pumpkins... and a BYU flag. I doubt Paul is ready to talk about his Cougars after last weekend's game, so I'll leave that for another post.

Last weekend Paul's mom and dad were here so that Dad could ordain Paul to the office of High Priest and Paul could begin serving as a counselor in the bishopric. The main thought that was going through our minds during the previous week was, "Didn't see that one coming."

We had barely reached our pew on our first Sunday back at church in Bellingham when President Youngberg from the Stake Presidency asked to talk with us, just minutes before the meeting began. I must have been pretty clueless because I thought it was just a little "welcome back" sort of chat. When do they ever do that? Anyway, there you have it. Paul is the youngest High Priest in the ward, with the youngest family. Like I said, we didn't see that one coming.

It was great to visit with Mom and Dad Duersch for a couple of days. They drove all the way from Orem, only to have us drag them out in the rain to the pumpkin patch just hours after they arrived in Bellingham. Okay, we didn't drag them, but it wasn't the choicest of times to venture out to the farm. Still, I think it was fun.


I picked out a few small gourds to display in the house. Unfortunately, my favorite, bright orange one grew a nice big patch of mold after we brought it home and I had to throw it away.

This place has a really fun feel to it. They have many, many creative displays around the farm.


In fact, this is where we came last year to get pumpkins (and later a Christmas tree), and I think a little then and now is in order.

Benjamin then (October 2008):

Benjamin now:

This year the boys really enjoyed the farm animals. Rhett had never really seen any in person, and he was completely won over. He really loved the rabbits and wanted to touch just about every animal that was close enough...


and then a chicken bit him, and that fixed him right up.

We came home with some cider and a small selection of gourds. I opted to pay 12 cents per pound for carving pumpkins at the grocery store versus 30 cents per pound at the farm. And I am not ashamed about it.


Grandma came prepared with sticky letters and sticky people, a perfect activity for Benjamin. She even stuck magnets on the back so everyone can hang out on the fridge now.

Thanks for coming, Mom and Dad! We had a good time, and it was a perfect break from the everyday.

I have been so pleased with the beautiful scenes outside this week. There are gorgeous red and orange leaves everywhere. Here is a recent view of our back yard.


It will probably stay this way until it stops raining long enough and/or it seems worthwhile to rake all the leaves up (meaning we won't have to do it all over again in two days).

6 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Wow, congratulations, Paul?! :) Vicky, I hope you still get to see your husband regularly!

I love the pics! Bellingham looks so beautiful!

alishka babushka said...

Congratulations to the two of you! If it makes you feel better Paul, my dad was called as Bishop when I was almost 5 (so my parents were...almost 30?) and my dad has ALWAYS been the youngest High Priest. ;) Good luck! Your boys are adorable and I love reading about your adventures in the Northwest. :o) LOVES!

Lesley said...

What a great opportunity! It seems like Heavenly Father had plans for your family way back in the Wymount ward when Paul had a similar calling. How funny that the calling came just as soon as you got back to WA. It sounds like maybe you guys weren't the only ones anxious for you to get home!

I can't believe how baby-like Benjamin looks in last years pictures! Especially compared to now! Your little Rhett is such a cutie too.

Megan said...

It sounds like Washington has an awesome Fall. :) I'm glad you're enjoying it and good luck with the new experience of being the wife of a bishopric member. it fits you. :)

McCracken said...

How exciting!!! Congrats Paul(and Vicky)!! I am so happy for you guys!

Glen and Rachel said...

Wow, that's big news! Good for you guys. Glen has been serving in the Bishopric of our ward for a little over a year, and it has been tough, but a blessing as well. Good luck, Vicky!!