Monday, March 15, 2010

A Child's Prayer, Redo

The last post was an example of how Benjamin decides to assert himself and do things on his own terms. But despite his occasional "funny" prayers, he has also given us displays of truly uplifting childlike faith. Today is an example.

Rhett and I picked up a sickness from somewhere, so Saturday night and Sunday were spent taking care of a vomiting child, with me on the couch much of the time. Paul, good husband/father that he is, helped me take care of Rhett (and the resulting several loads of laundry) Saturday night and took Benjamin to church with him on Sunday (where Benjamin refused to sit with his good friends and preferred to sit up in the front with Paul and the bishopric). I woke up this morning feeling much better, and realized that Paul was on the couch rather than at work. Bummer.

Thankfully, Benjamin seems to have been spared (so far, knock on wood). This morning as I explained to him that Dada was feeling sick, he immediately suggested, "Hey, we could say a prayer for Dada!" After doing so, he rushed out to the couch to tell Paul what we did, and it was evident in his voice that he believed in the power of that prayer.

So even though he is sometimes thankful for "nothing," I think he really does understand the purpose and power of a simple prayer.

A glimpse into Rhett's weekend

2 comments:

Julie said...

A perfect continuation to the previous post. I hope you are all feeling better.

rantipoler said...

Thanks for this sweet story. Just another reminder of why we should strive to be more childlike.