Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Move, part 1

So we moved. It was a whirlwind of cardboard, packing tape, sponges, vacuums and paint. We are so thankful for the many friends and neighbors who helped us with moving boxes and furniture, watching the boys and giving us dinner. I couldn't even begin to list the people who did so much to help.

It was sort of strange to empty and clean the house we rented for nearly two years, but relieving as well, if you know what I mean. That house was so perfect for us in so many ways, and such a blessing. Great rent, good landlords, awesome location, fantastic ward, and sweet next-door neighbors. We couldn't ask for more. But for some reason, whenever I walked in the door, I never felt "at home." I never loved it. I've lived in places that have been so hard to leave because of my (possibly unusual) emotional attachment, but that wasn't one of them. The more time that passes, the more fond I feel of the place. But at the time we moved out, I had no desire to look back.

So, back to business. We moved out and cleaned. The boys helped.

Washing chalk off the house

Vacuuming was Rhett's favorite

Then we moved in.

First things first, the master bedroom needed a new coat of paint. Thank goodness the entire house wasn't this color when we moved in, although it was in the recent past. The people who painted the other rooms didn't care to remove things like pieces of tape and painted right over them, preserving (at least for now) the brilliant minty green color underneath. Thankfully they also painted over the deep purple color in other rooms of the house (such as the bar room; see below and imagine what that would have been like).

Benjamin staying busy in his new room while we moved stuff in

Every time we move we say, "We don't have that much stuff." Until the new place looks like this and we wonder, "Why do we have all this stuff?"

The kitchen was the first thing (after the carpets) to get a good scrubbing. I can't do anything without a functioning kitchen.

Evidence of unpacking

The toy corner of our new family room (which used to be still is a bar, until we can tackle that project)

(See???)
The beer fridge has now been recycled, thank goodness. But we're not sure what to do with the bar, for the time being...


We are currently in the process of remodeling the main bathroom. I always have been, but now I am really thankful for my handy-man husband! He has done so much to make this house work for us!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I can totally relate to being shocked every time we move by how much stuff we have. And we always get rid of a TON beforehand. I don't know where it all comes from, but obviously we feel that we need it. :)

Congratulations again on your house!

Lisa said...

Congrats on this new house!! I know it must be hard with those two kiddos to get everything done. I'm excited to see the final final project :)

John B. said...

I totally know that Paul will make the house amazing. He is very talented. Congrats on the house!

Win Duersch said...

It is so nice also to have such a supportive wife like you. I am glad Paul and the boys have you at their side.
Dad

McCracken said...

Project homes can be fun :) Sorry I didn't show you around ours a little more. We have been here 3 years and still have projects to tackle. As for that bar of yours.... it's a great place to host a party or have snack time. You can be creative. Make it a library or a craft area!! By the way congrats on the house!