Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Can't I just chop it up?


As a Hall Advisor I'm sometimes asked to help my RAs with their building programs (program=activity with purpose). Next month I will be showing a group of young men how to cook a Thanksgiving feast, or at least the most important parts: turkey and pie.
So here's my problem: I know how to cook a turkey. But how do you carve it? Carving a turkey seems like a fancy thing that you see on TV or in a cookbook, but I'm sure that normal people do it occassionally. Is there a reason to carve it other than to make it look nice? I'm always just content to cut it into smaller pieces, whatever shape those may be. But I thought it would be neat to teach them how to carve it for real. Then they can go home and impress their mothers, and later their wives.
So this is me asking if anyone out there knows how to carve a turkey, and if you could share that wisdom with me. If not, I'll just Google it.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

There are tips in my Good Housekeeping magazine which you are welcome to borrow, or go to goodhousekeeping.com/thanks and there is supposed to be a video.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

That's funny, I always thought carving it did mean just cutting it into eatable sizes! Who knew it acualy meant something more aesthetic! I'm clueless!

Lesley said...

Thanks to that photo, I will probably skip the turkey this year. What a face!

Lisa said...

I am a carving nightmare, even with easier things. Good luck!