Our 10-hour drive down took a few hours more than planned since we decided to stop at Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. We saw some really cool ruins that look like this:




We arrived in Albuquerque late on Thursday night, and after a few hours of sleep woke up to go to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. This is an annual event in Albuquerque that I went to a few times growing up, but I haven't been to it since high school. Even then I didn't get the full experience, so it was great to go again. Paul thought it was amazing, and in a few years Benjamin will think so, too.
We got to Balloon Fiesta Park at about 6:30 a.m. There were yummy breakfast burritos, fun balloon shapes, chainsaw carvers, and plenty of people bundled up against the cold just like us. There were even Storm Troopers.





Benjamin thought this guy was so cool

Balloon Gondola
Chainsaw carver guy
After a long morning, we were all pretty beat.
But there was more to do....
We ate at a place called The Burrito Co. Cafe. It's so nice to have some real New Mexican food once in a while!

We spent the afternoon walking around the plaza and visiting galleries and shops. Below is a picture of Native American vendors selling their crafts and jewelery.

Saturday morning we finally got to sleep in! Than Paul and I drove with Grandma and Ruth around the neighborhood where I grew up. I wish I could show a good picture of the house I grew up in, but it's too depressing to look at now. (The new owner has let everything go to waste.) We also drove by the Ernie Pyle library, Bandelier Elementary, and Highland High School. Fun to see old spots, but so glad to be where I am now!
A very wonderful and important part of our visit to Albuquerque was our visits with my parents. We saw my dad in Rio Rancho first. Unfortunately, Benjamin was a little grumpy during our visit with Grandpa Key, but at least they could spend some time together.

Saturday evening I was going to go to the Rio Grande Arts & Crafts Festival with Paul's mom and his sisters Heidi and Ruth but I just didn't feel like spending $6 on admission that we thought was free. So instead Ruth and I stayed in the car and did homework, which really wasn't all that bad. (Sorry for the boring details. I'm just trying to be thorough.)
That night we joined Heidi's husband Landon's family (the Segos) for a hamburger cookout, and Paul's oldest brother Brett flew in from Pennsylvania with his son Tom. This is a picture of us playing a card game called "Big Fish, Little Fish," or something like that.

Sunday we had a nice visit with my mom. Benjamin had his first taste of Mac & Cheese from a box, and although I wanted to keep it clean and feed it to him myself, he has now decided that he won't eat anything unless he can do it himself. And I mean anything. But that's a post for another time.

Church with Grandma Key was fun because we got to visit with Brother Croasdell, a member of my old ward, and we got to watch the Primary practice their Sacrament Meeting Program since my mom is a Primary teacher.
We also got to visit with Benjamin's aunts Sarah and Melissa. Sorry, Sarah, we didn't get a picture with you!
Lane was baptized on Sunday evening, and it was wonderful! We're so proud of you, buddy! Thanks for inviting us! (Sorry, no pictures of that one... we left the camera in the car.)
And that was our vacation! Thanks to Grandma Duersch for taking us in her van, and to both her and Ruth for keeping Benjamin content in the back seat! And thanks to Lane for being baptised so we could have such a great mid-semester break!



5 comments:
I have never been to Mesa Verde or anywhere therein, even though I've lived in CO my whole life. Never even been to the 4 corners. I need to do that.
That is such a cool balloon festival!! That might be worth getting up that early for :)
Ben is just getting so big and is still the cutest boy ever.
Hooray!! What a fabulous vacation!! It's so awesome when there are fun things to do when visiting family! Those balloons are so cool, some of your shots are postcard worthy for sure!!
What a fun trip! It looks like you guys got the maximum out of a few days away from Provo!
Vicky, you look fantastic. Little Benjamin has such a great head of hair! I love how in one picture it looks like he is actually part of the circle and playing cards. So grown up!
Thanks for sharing so many pictures!
Sounds like a great trip! And yes, I did live in Wyview! You must be in our old apartment... what a small world BYU is. I'm sure we all leave paper trails all over the town. Are you an adviser or something over there now? Sorry my old mail is pestering you!
RAD!! I've been to Mesa Verde and I loved it!!
The balloons are too cool!
And HOW FUN to get a tiny taste of your growing up life!
Post a Comment